Dental Implants in Winston Hills, NSW
Missing teeth are about more than just aesthetics. Gaps in your teeth can make chewing and speaking properly a challenge. It can also be embarrassing to smile, so you might find yourself avoiding it altogether. Some people even find they are impacted both socially and professionally.
There is no need to live this way when dental implants can provide such a natural-looking and well-functioning tooth replacement. Dental implants most closely mimic the natural tooth.
Success rates are excellent, with the vast majority of patients at our Winston Hills, NSW dental clinic able to have dental implants. We invite you to contact the Martina Lavery Dental & Skin Studio for a consultation to learn more. Get your smile back—and quite possibly your social and professional life as well.
We’ve listed some of the common questions we hear about dental implants below. Feel free to peruse these before calling our Winston Hills, NSW dental clinic to find out if dental implants might be right for you. We also service Northmead, Baulkham Hills, and Bella Vista areas.
- The Definition of a Dental Implant
- What Makes Dental Implants Such a Great Tooth Replacement Option
- How Dental Implants Work
- The Healing Process for Dental Implants
- What Our Patients Love about Dental Implants
- Why Patients Are Choosing Dental Implants over Other Tooth Replacement Options
- Caring for Dental Implants
- The Longevity of Dental Implants
- The Cost of Dental Implants
- Finding Out if Dental Implants Are Right for You
- Taking the First Step Toward Dental Implants
The Definition of a Dental Implant
A dental implant is a titanium post that is placed into the jawbone to replace a tooth that has been pulled or lost. The surgical procedure required is generally well-tolerated by patients.
Dental implants at our Winston Hills, NSW dental clinic can replace a single tooth or several missing teeth; dental implants are also used to hold a full arch denture in place. Usually four implants are placed to hold a full arch in place.
Dental implants integrate into the jawbone after placement, so they provide a sturdy, secure and stable way to support a single tooth or a restoration such as a bridge or denture.
When a tooth is missing, Dr Martina can surgically place a dental implant into the jawbone to take the place of the tooth root. A crown is then added to the implant by a connector, called an abutment. The crown is then glued or screwed onto the abutment, completing your smile.
What Makes Dental Implants Such a Great Tooth Replacement Option
Because they become part of the body, dental implants are the tooth replacement option that most closely resembles your natural tooth in terms of both form and function. After the implant is placed into the jaw, there is a healing process of about four to six months during which ‘osseointegration’ takes place. When the implant is secure, we can place a dental crown on the implant, giving you a tooth that looks very much like your natural tooth—and functions very much like it as well.
How Dental Implants Work
A dental implant acts as a tooth root in place of a missing tooth. Dental implants in Winston Hills, NSW are made up of the following:
- The base. This is the portion that takes the place of the tooth root. It is usually made of a biocompatible material such as titanium which is well-accepted into the body. It fuses with the jawbone over a period of four to six months, providing a stable base for a restoration.
- The connector or abutment. This is where a restoration is connected to the implant. It can be a dental crown, a dental bridge or a denture.
- The crown. When an implant is taking the place of a single tooth, a dental crown connects to the abutment and forms the natural-looking tooth replacement.
The Healing Process for Dental Implants
Healing times can vary from patient to patient, but most people can expect their implant to be fully healed and integrated into the jawbone after about four to six months.
What Our Patients Love about Dental Implants
Patients of our Winston Hills, NSW dental surgery report loving the following things about their dental implants:
- They look better than other tooth replacement options. Dentures have come a long way in recent years, but nothing beats the natural look of a dental implant.
- They feel better than other tooth replacement options. Because they become part of the body, most people don’t give their implants a thought once their procedure is complete.
- Speaking clearly is easier with dental implants—and there is no learning curve. Even the best-fitting dentures can slip and slide, causing embarrassment.
- Osseointegration means complete comfort; you won’t even notice you have dental implants.
- There are no food restrictions as there are with dentures. You can bite into an apple or steak without worry.
- They can make you feel better about yourself. Let’s face it: If you are missing teeth, people might make unfair judgments about you, which can impact your social and professional life. With dental implants, you can feel good about your smile again in Winston Hills, NSW.
- They are easy to care for by brushing and flossing—just as you would your natural teeth.
- Implants can last you a lifetime if you take good care of them.
Why Patients Are Choosing Dental Implants over Other Tooth Replacement Options
When people lose one or more tooth, they might not consider the residual effects that can have on the healthy teeth that remain. When a tooth is missing, the adjacent teeth are no longer held into place. Dental implants will protect your other teeth from shifting.
Without a tooth root to stimulate the jawbone, the body no longer signals for nutrients to be sent to the area. The jawbone can start to dissolve over time. Because there is no tooth root to stimulate the jawbone, the bone may deteriorate. With a prosthetic tooth root, the jawbone stays healthy.
Caring for Dental Implants
Unlike dentures that need to be removed for cleaning, you can brush and floss your dental implants the same way you would your natural teeth. It’s also crucial that you stay current with check-ups and cleans at your Winston Hills, NSW dental clinic. It’s also a good idea for Dr Martina to examine your dental implant to ensure there are no problems.
The Longevity of Dental Implants
With proper care, your dental implant can last a lifetime.
The Cost of Dental Implants
The cost of an implant varies from patient to patient. Ultimately, it depends on the bone quality, the number of implants required and how the implant will be restored after it is placed. Each patient is unique, and we will organise a personal treatment plan to meet your goals. Dr Martina will discuss cost with you before proceeding so you feel comfortable going forwards.
Finding Out if Dental Implants Are Right for You
Most of the patients we see in Winston Hills, NSW can support dental implants. If there isn’t enough bone present, Dr Martina can talk to you about bone grafting as a possible solution.
The best way to find out if dental implants is a good option for you is to contact our dental clinic.
Taking the First Step Toward Dental Implants
Contact us to book a consult and we can go over your options for tooth replacement. If it turns out that dental implants are not right for you, we also provide dental bridges and full and partial dentures.
The best way to get started is to contact our Winston Hills, NSW dental studio to arrange a booking by calling us on (02) 9688-7898. We also service Northmead, Baulkham Hills, and Bella Vista areas. We look forward to meeting you.